One of the world’s most well-known CEOs, Elon Reeve Musk was born June 28, 1971, in South Africa and is celebrating his 50th birthday in 2021.
Known for his use of memes on social media including mentions of popular jokes involving 69 and 4/20, it might come as a surprise that with a birthday on June 28, Musk was born 69 days after 4/20.
Here is a look at 50 more facts and figures about Musk in honor of this milestone birthday.
- Daydreams: As a child, Musk often daydreamed about inventions that led to his parents and doctors testing his hearing.
- Bullied: Musk was bullied in grade school likely as the result of being short and focused on his education. Musk learned karate and wrestling to defend himself.
- Two Siblings: Musk has a brother Kimbal Musk, who is involved with Tesla, and a sister Tosca.
- Children: Musk’s children include Xavier, Griffin, Damian, Saxon, Kai and X Æ A-Xii.
- Relationships: Musk was married to author Justine Wilson for eight years. The couple share custody of their five children Xavier, Griffin, Damian, Saxon and Kai. Musk was also married to actress Talulah Riley. Musk has dated musician Claire Elise Boucher, professionally known as Grimes, since 2018 and they have one child together.
- Programming: Musk taught himself how to program at the age of 12, which led to an early interest in computers and creating companies.
- American Citizen: Musk became an American citizen in 2002 at the age of 31.
- Moves: Musk moved from South Africa to Canada at the age of 17. Musk attended college in the U.S. and then moved to California.
- Citizenship: Musk obtained Canadian citizenship in 1989 as a move to make future American citizenship easier. Musk has citizenship from three countries as a result.
- College: Musk graduated from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Stanford Dropout: After graduation from the University of Pennsylvania, Musk attended Stanford University as part of the graduate school in physics. Musk dropped out two days later.
- Zip2: One of the first company’s Musk created came after dropping out of Stanford was Zip2, which provided maps and business directories for online newspapers. The business was sold for $307 million in 1999.
- PayPal: Musk co-founded X.com, the online payment company that eventually became PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL). EBay acquired the company for $1.5 billion in stock, including $165 million given to Musk.
- Tesla: Musk is the CEO of Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA), a market-leading electric vehicle company in the U.S.
- SpaceX: Space company SpaceX was created by Musk and has revolutionized the space market with reusable rockets …